2023 Projector Donation DriveOr "Help us, we need to make $60,000 fast!"
Campaign Update (June 2, 2023):
We did it! We raised $60,000 for our new projector, which is now up and running in the Roxy Theatre! A King Kong-sized hug & “thank you!” to the 500+ cinema-lovers who have supported our cinema’s laser-bright future!
To our Benefactors, Patrons, Friends & Movie Sponsors: watch for your donor perks by mail and/or email later in June. We have more perks to fill than expected, so it might take us a few weeks.
Our new sound system will be coming later this Summer.
As we still have $130,000 in pandemic debt to pay off, we will continue to accept donations & sponsorships through June from anyone who is inspired to contribute.
The 24 Hour Trash Cinema Telethon takes place June 10-11, and all funds raised will go towards paying down the theatre’s debt.
Here’s Our Situation
- The cost of a new projector & sound system is $60,000.
- We currently have over $130,000 in Covid debt to pay off.
- Our fixed operating expenses are $85,000/year greater than they were before the pandemic (rent & whatnot).
- After 3 years of doing what we can to get through the pandemic & reinvigorate the theatre, we’ve only just reached the point where we break even. Our sales cover our operating expenses but we are not earning enough for debt repayment.
- We are a small family-run business and are not eligible for any public funding or grants.
To pay for this new projector, we need to raise money through direct donations & sponsorships. So we’ve set up this 2023 Projector Donation Drive, which will run until the end of June.
You can keep Kingston’s only downtown movie theatre up & operating by making a contribution today!
How to Contribute to the Projector Donation Drive
To make this interesting for everyone involved, we’ve concocted some unique perks for each donation tier:
- The Friend: Give $50-99 and receive a limited edition monogram pin & a free popcorn.
- The Patron: Give $100-$199 and receive two tickets to a donors-only surprise screening event, in addition to the perks above.
- The Benefactor: Give $200+ and receive a shimmery new “A Night at the Movies for 2” pass, in addition to the above perks (surprise screening tickets, pin & popcorn).
- The Movie Sponsorship Package (designed for organizations): Pay $575 and receive a prominent “This movie was brought to you by…” sponsorship credit & a bunch of movie passes.
- Watch The 24 Hour Trash Cinema Telethon on June 17 & 18!
We only ask for financial support from people who can do so comfortably. You can also help the cinema simply by watching movies at our cinema, or by spreading the word about this donation drive around town, or by encouraging a local business or organization to sponsor a movie!
Thank you so much for your ongoing support of our movie theatre,
Owner/operator of The Screening Room
Contribute via the Donation Drive Online Store
Click this big button to visit our Donation Drive Online Store (accepts credit card, PayPal & Google Pay):
Note about this online store’s limitations: The Donation Drive Online Store software has been a bit finicky for some people, and *it will not work if you do not have a cell phone number* (blah!). If you only have a landline, or run into trouble with the store, use one of the alternate payment options below.
Alternately, Send a Cheque, Interac e-Transfer or Give in Person
If you don’t want to provide your credit card information and/or you want to help us save 3.5% on credit card processing fees, you can send us a cheque or e-transfer
Send a Cheque:
There are few things more delightful than receiving a letter with money in it! If you need or prefer to contribute by mail, send a cheque to:
The Screening Room
120 Princess Street
Remit to “The Screening Room” and be sure to include your return address (plus email & phone number) so we can send you a “thank you” note and perks!
Send an Interac e-Transfer:
You’re welcome to send us a donation via Interac e-Transfer (aka an “email money transfer”)… send your transfer to:
Just be sure to include a memo (and your mailing address) if you’d like to receive perks!
Give In Person:
We’d love to see you in person to make a donation at our Box Office! We can accept your donation by credit card, debit, cheque, or cash. (Novel Idea gift certificates will also be treated as cash :).
And Finally, Regarding tax receipts:
Unfortunately, as we are not a registered charity, we are not capable of issuing a tax receipt for you contribution.
Questions or comments? Contact Us.